Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Giving It All


We have all had that moment in time. We are laying there in bed, and thinking about our day, not pleased with the way it went. I have been having a lot of those moments lately. In case you are a new homeschooler, let me share a truth with you. Homeschooling is hard. Really hard. In the last three years that I have been teaching my children, I have realized so many of my strengths. I am great at explaining. When I was growing up, I wanted to be a teacher, so in a way, this was a fulfillment of my dream. I love to talk to my kids about the Lord. I am passionate about reading. I love to organize curriculum and make lesson plans, it is something I am good at. I am crafty.

However, I have also realized that homeschooling is like a magnifying glass. It doesn't just bring the good up for closer inspection. We are imperfect, even if we don't like to admit it. Yes, I am one of those homeschool moms that like to bake homemade bread and makes my own Christmas gifts. But, I am also the one who loses patience, can have a sharp tongue and be selfish with her time.

Lately, every time that I have had one of those "bad" moments, I am condemning myself. But, last night, as I was praying, I had a revelation. His Grace is sufficient. It covers our failures. If He has forgiven us, how can we choose to keep condemning ourselves? Today is a new day, and I give it to Him. I know that there are going to be times that I mess up, but I know that He is still in the process of molding me. I am not there yet. Maybe you are in this place too. I just want you to know, you are doing the most important job in the world.

We are learning (and teaching!) one of the most important lessons. We have to depend on Him for EVERY need. In those moments, or even afterward, pull the kids to the side and apologize. Pray together. Show them that we are not perfect, we mess up, and we have a Father that loves us right where we are, and He forgives us. This is one of the biggest lessons we can teach our children. Our relationship with the Lord is not dependent on the things that we do or don't do, it is about what Christ did for us. He doesn't love us more because we homeschool. He doesn't love us less because we lost our temper. We have to use those moments to show how to humble yourself and how great forgiveness can be.
 
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Corinthians 12:9
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment